Selecting the right lube provides a number of benefits that will not only enhance your experience, but your partner’s experience too.
While there are a number of lubes on the market that each come with their own unique benefits, one of the more popular types of lube in demand are silicone-based.
In this article, we’re going to be taking a look at silicone lubes and what they really entail. Let’s begin!
Comparison Chart of the Best Silicone Lube
Uberlube Luxury Lubricant
Wet Platinum Premium Lubricant
Silicone Based Personal Lubricant
Sliquid Naturals Silver
What is Silicone?
Silicone is a material of decision for delicate sex toys, because of its non-abrasiveness, toughness, and cleanability.
At their core, silicones, otherwise called polysiloxanes, are polymers that incorporate any dormant, manufactured compound made up of rehashing units of siloxane.
They are ordinarily warm, safe, and elastic, and are utilized as a part of sealants, cements, ointments, medication, cooking utensils, and electrical protection.
Silicone vs. Oil vs. Water-based Lubes
Before we dive into the review, we want to highlight the various aspects that make each style of lube popular.
Ideal for fun in the water, silicone based lubes are long lasting and are sure to deliver when things heat start heating up in the shower, bathtub, hot tub, or elsewhere.
While they are not to be used with silicone based toys due to their likeness to damage the exterior of the toy, silicone based lubricants suffice for long-lasting enjoyment with minimal amounts of lube, so you don’t have to worry about running out.
When using silicone based lubes, it’s encouraged to keep in mind the phrase, “a dot does a lot”.
An absolute favorite among anal play, oil based lubricants provide a great deal of fun due to their viscosity and delicate, satiny feel.
If combined with water based lubes, they can render a more natural experience and extend the use of the water based lubricant.
While they should never be used with latex condoms due to them degrading the latex, they are still a pleasure to play with and can make a number of experiences better than before.
There’s no surprise that water based lubricants primarily include -- you guessed it: water.
Due to this feature, they typically don’t bring any taste, color, smell, or staining to the party.
While they may not last as long as silicone based lubes, the great benefit of reapplying more lube is the nourishment your body will receive as the water rejuvenates your skin.
The smooth, clean, silky feel that your skin will exude after every use is almost enough to crave more in addition to the fun that follows.
For our full write-up regarding this topic, be sure to visit our article, 'How to Choose Lubricant – Silicone vs Water vs Oil' where you can learn all about these different bases.
Benefits of Using Silicone-based Lubes
Now we’re going to take a moment to take a look at some of the amazing benefits of using silicone based lube.
Despite the fact that silicone seems like something you wouldn’t want apply all over your precious parts, there are a surprising number of advantages from using these types of lube.
- Silicone is incredible for individuals with delicate skin.
- Great for use in the water which means the fun doesn’t have to end at the shower, bath, or hot tub. You can take it wherever you go!
- Leaves your skin feeling silky smooth - great for couples massages or those who love to lather down that special someone
- Silicone based lubes are extra slippery, meaning they are great for anal
- Unlike oil based lubricants, silicone lube can be used in conjunction with latex condoms
Downsides to Using Silicone-based Lubes
Knowledge is power and staying informed is not only responsible, but it can save you from any complications that may arise down the road.
Here are some of the common downsides of using silicone based lube you should be aware of:
- Less is more - often times, silicone-based lubes are more spendy than water- or oil-based but their long-lasting effect means you (in theory) use less in the long-run.
- Clean up can be more challenging than other types of lubricant such as water-based. You’ll find that silicone-based lubes may be difficult to wash off your bed sheets or any other type of fabric it comes into contact with.
- Silicone lubes tend to taste bad. We definitely don’t recommend applying any then going down on your partner. You may need to put some mouthwash in your bottom drawer if you make a habit out of it.
- As mentioned above, a major downside of using silicone based lube is their tendency to work against silicone based toys - fair warning!
- Silicone-based lubricants also tend to leave a film or coating on your skin after you’re done using it. This can be washed off over time, but you may still feel it immediately after washing. But don’t worry, it’s harmless.
Review of the Best Silicone-based Lubricants
Let's see a few of our top picks and why they made our list!
1. Uberlube Luxury Lubricant
The first one on our list and also an exceptional silicone lube is the Uberlube Luxury Lubricant.
With the ideal pump design making it easy to access when the time comes, you can count on this lube to work as intended, leaving your skin feeling silky, smooth, and velvety.
One of the great benefits about this lube is that it follows the old slogan, ‘a dot does a lot’, meaning you can enjoy hours of fun without having to reapply more.
There are some main features that highlight the Uberlube along with some ups and downs shared by those who are frequent users. Let’s check out both and see why it made out list.
Main Features of the Uberlube Luxury Lubricant include:
- Intended to exchange pleasure while diminishing resistance and irritation
- Feels silky-smooth and is intended to last
- Leaves skin feeling delicate, serene, and nourished
- Easily accessible and less likely to spill with the convenient pump bottle
- Application is not sticky compared to other lubes
2. Wet Platinum Premium Lubricant
Wet Platinum is a grade A lubricant that made our list and a popular choice among shoppers.
Recognized by users for its natural, moisturizing feel, Wet Platinum works great with condoms and is perfect for anal.
When your fun is all said and done, Platinum won’t leave your skin irritated, dry, or uncomfortable; moisture will seep into your skin making it feel rejuvenated and better than ever.
There are a ton of benefits behind this remarkable silicone lubricant - let’s review the main features then cover a few mutual pros and cons mentioned by recent customers.
Main features of the Wet Platinum Premium Lubricant include:
- Sleek and ergonomically designed
- Paraben free
- Assured to never get sticky while having fun
- Great for use in the shower or other water environments
- FDA-cleared to be used in conjunction with all types of condoms
3. Astroglide X
Sex doesn’t need to stop when it’s time for a shower, and it shouldn’t.
Astroglide X is the perfect waterproof, silicone based lubricant to ensure you can enjoy late-nights in the hot tub, or steamy shower sex.
This premium, hyper-slick lubricant is perfect and performs every time when things get hot and heavy.
A great advantage to this lube is the long-lasting, flavorless feature.
Now you can enjoy hours of fun and still have the pleasure of going down on your partner whenever you want - no need to worry about unpleasant-tasting surprises that have great potential to ruin the mood.
There are a handful of great benefits that come with the Astroglide X; let’s check them out then review the main advantages and disadvantages recent customers expressed about their experience while using this product.
Main features of Shibari Intimate Lubricant include:
- Fragrance free
- Free of hormones
- Guaranteed to last longer than water based lubes
- Premium design ensure no irritation will occur
4. Silicone Based Personal Lubricant By Healthy Vibes
Life is about enjoyment and seizing the moments that matter most.
I think we can all agree that there’s nothing worse than a lube that doesn’t hold up when things are getting hot and all you want to do is your partner (or yourself).
One of the best silicone lubes on the market that made our list is the Silicone Based Personal Lubricant by Healthy Vibes.
Utilizing the benefits that encompass most silicone based lubes, Healthy Vibes put in work to ensure they could deliver a product to users that would be safe, reliable, and pleasurable.
There are a few reasons why we wanted to highlight this lube - let’s see what they are then discuss the main pros and cons mentioned by recent customers.
Main features of the Silicone Based Personal Lubricant By Healthy Vibes include:
- Easily accessible via built in pump
- Award winning premium silicone lubricant
- 100% FDA approved
- Safe to use with latex condoms - both inside and outside the condom
- Paraben and glycerin free
5. Sliquid Naturals Silver Silicone Lubricant
Sliquid Naturals Silver Silicone Lubricant is the last product we want to discuss with you, but don’t be fooled by where it’s placed on our list - just because it’s last doesn’t mean it’s the worst. Sliquid is more than just a clever name.
By keeping things simple and only including three main ingredients: all of which are silicone based, this lubricant is meant to be long-lasting and great for those who are searching for a high quality silicone based lube.
We’ve been hearing nothing but good things about this and can’t wait to explain why.
Main features of the Sliquid Naturals Silver Silicone Lubricant include:
- Vegan friendly
- Glycerin and paraben free
- Non-toxic and hypoallergenic
- Great for those with sensitive skin
- Latex friendly lube - no need to worry about destroying condoms
In the end, we hope we’ve contributed a great deal toward your next purchase and pleasurable experience.
Out of the lubes we’ve highlighted, all are great products that certainly stand apart compared to other silicone based lubes on the market.
If this review was beneficial, be sure to drop us a comment and let us know what part stood out. We love hearing from our readers! Enjoy!
“After finishing my Masters of Public Health in Human Sexuality, my entrepreneurial spirit and love for writing led me on a blissful path. I set out to create a safe space for people to learn about sexual wellness and gain sound advice on some playful toys. With some help from a few friends, Bliss Bumble was formed – I guess you could say we’re just a couple busy bees.”