Sex toys can be a whole lot of fun, but picking out your first one is a pretty scary task.
Will it fit, will I like it, what lube should I use?
It can seem overwhelming because there really is a lot to think about, so we have tried to make the process a little easier with a few pre-purchase tips and a rundown of some of my favorite beginner sex toys.
Best Sex Toys for Beginners – Comparison Chart
Doc Johnson’s Slim Silicone Dildo
Rocks Off RO-80mm Bullet Vibrator
Classix Rocket Slimline 7″ Vibrator by Pipedream
VeDO Wanda Waterproof Rechargeable Wand Vibrator
Exposed Evelyn Bullet Vibrator by Blush Novelties
Fifty Shades Freed I’ve Got You Rechargeable Remote Control Love Egg
Performance Silicone Anal Beads by Blush
Anal Sex Toys
Luxe Candy Rimmer Small Silicone Butt Plug
Anal Sex Toys
What Types of Sex Toys Are Best for Beginners?
There are no strict rules around what types of sex toys are the best for beginners. When you check out the beginner specific categories of sex toy store websites you will see that there really are all sorts of different types of toys in there.
You will find dildos, classic vibrators, clitoral vibrators and anal toys – all of which we are going to look at soon – but what they really all have in common is their size and the ease of use.
Beginner sex toys will generally be on the smaller side. If they are internal stimulators, they will usually be under 7 inches long and probably quite thin and it is much the same with external toys too.
As a kind of rule (of course, there are exceptions), the larger the external toy, the more power it will have. You will see that below with the wand vibrators we have chosen. The next thing you will come across is how easy they are to use.
This can simply be based around having a retrieval cord so you can remove it easily, or it may refer to the simplicity of the vibration control panel. It can already be intimidating using a toy for the first time without a complicated set of controls!
Don’t worry, you’re not alone in this. We’re here to help 🙂
Easing into Sex Toys – Aspects to Keep in Mind
One of the best things you can do to help you find your first sex toy is to read customer reviews and look for as many as you can. You will also find that most reviews will be displayed with the best ones showing first, so look a little deeper to see what it is that people dislike about a toy.
All pleasure is personal and what one person likes may be totally different to you, but the more you read, the better an understanding you will have.
The next thing to keep in mind to always use a great quality lubricant like this Sliquid H2O which is ph balanced and gentle. Using a toy for the first time can be pretty scary and when we are nervous, our bodies tend to clench up. Lube will help to make everything a lot more comfortable for you and will give you a much better experience overall. I suggest applying some lube to your body as well as the toy to get yourself excited, warmed up and allow your body to relax.
And don’t forget to try not to put your expectations too high on the first try. I have tried toys that were all the rage and found that they just didn’t work for me, or at least not the first time around. I always give things a second try, but sometimes we buy toys that we just don’t like. That doesn’t mean that you should give up! It just means it wasn’t the right toy. That’s why reading those reviews and understanding your likes and your body is so important before you buy.
Let’s find your first or next toy!
Review of the Best Sex Toys for Beginners
Here are the toys that I think are great for beginners. I’ve added a few from some different styles so that you compare and see what you think will work best for you.
Best Dildos for Beginners
1. Au Naturel 6.5 Inch Sensa Feel Suction Cup Dildo
- The suction cup base can also be used to attach the dildo to a harness.
- It has a suction cup base for hands-free fun. Just stick it to a smooth, hard surface.
- This toy is as realistic as dildos get in terms of both its appearance and the feel of it.
- It comes in two colors
- There is a mild rubber smell that takes a few washes to go away.
- It can feel a bit powdery to the touch but this goes away when you use lube.
If you are looking for a dildo that looks and feels just like the real thing, then look no further than Au Naturel. These are ultra-realistic dildos that even have veins hand painted on them and ridged heads to look as much like a real penis as possible. They come in all sorts of sizes and colors, but this 6.5-inch option is the perfect one for beginners. The toy has a width of 1.5 inches so it’s not too girthy to insert and is made from Sensa Feel TPR material that has a soft, squishy lifelike feel to it.
If you want a realistic beginner dildo that won’t break the bank, then this is a great option for you.
2. Doc Johnson The Slim Silicone Dildo
- This toy is very slim and non-intimidating.
- There is a curve to the end to target the G-spot too!
- Silicone is made to last so if you look after it well, you will have this toy for a very long time.
- There is no suction cup so you will need to use your hands to move it.
- Silicone toys cannot be used with silicone lubricant, so stick to water-based.
If you are looking for something even thinner through the shaft, then this Doc Johnson dildo may be a better option for you. This is a non-anatomical toy so it doesn’t look anything like a penis and is a bit more discreet than the Au Naturel.
As the title suggests, it is also super thin with a circumference of only 3.5 inches and an insertable length of 5.5 inches. It’s made from super smooth silicone that also has some squish to it so is really comfortable to use, even for beginners. It can also be used as a great foreplay tool to get your body ready for vaginal or anal sex.
The thinness of the shaft makes this a great dildo for a beginner that can be used vaginally or anally with ease. Just don’t use silicone lube!
Best Vibrators for Beginners
1. Rocks Off Ammunition RO-80mm Bullet Vibrator
- The sleek silver color looks seriously badass and is a nice gender-neutral option.
- Although it is battery operated it is still really powerful and the vibration is on the rumblier side.
- This bullet is completely waterproof and can be submerged so you can use it in the shower or bath too.
- It tends to use up the batteries pretty quickly so you will need to keep some handy so you don’t get caught out.
- Because it is made from hard plastic, it will get slippery to hold if you use a lot of lube with it. I suggest putting the lube onto the clitoris directly rather than the toy.
Bullet vibrators are an amazing little toy for beginners to clitoral stimulation. They are targeted, compact and generally pretty powerful. The Rocks Off range, in particular, are known for their power and this one is no exception.
Even though it is a single speed vibrator, it packs a punch and the hard plastic transfers the vibration to the clitoris really well. It is nice and small too measuring only 3.25 inches in length and 2 inches in circumference so you can use it during partnered play too without it getting in the way.
This is a cool little vibe that is super strong and easy to take anywhere you go. It is strong, pretty and fairly quiet too.
2. Classix Rocket Slimline 7″ Vibrator by Pipedream
- It’s made from a smooth, coated plastic that transfers the vibration really well.
- The twist base makes it super easy to use and change speeds even when the toy is in use.
- This is a super affordable beginner’s toy
- The batteries tend to die rather quickly.
- Being plastic, it may be a bit too firm for some people as there is no squish or flexibility.
Classic vibrators are another awesome option for beginners as they are non-intimidating and super easy to use. This is an internal vibrator, although it could actually be used externally too if you wish as the end is nice and rounded with just a bit of tapering.
This toy is sleek and smooth for easy gliding and is multi-speed so you can use it just the way you like it. The control dial is on the bottom of the shaft and you simply twist it to move the vibration speed up or down.
It is 6 inches insertable length which may seem a bit long for some, but there is no need to insert the toy all the way in with this style, you only need to go as far as you are comfortable with. The width is 1 inch so is quite thin throughout the shaft.
This is a great beginner toy for someone that wants a strong vibrator that is multispeed and not too noisy.
Best Wand Vibrators for Beginners
1. VeDO Wanda Waterproof Rechargeable Wand Vibrator
- The neck is super flexy so you can get into exactly the right position.
- This is a great small sized toy that can be used alone or with a partner too.
- The vibration speeds are really easy to control by simply pushing the button.
- It is rechargeable and waterproof so you can use it anywhere
- The head may be a bit too firm for some.
Wand vibrators are created with power in mind, so a full-size wand massager may not be the best option for beginners, however, mini options like this one tend to be a little less intense and are a great way to try out whether you like a wand or not.
This one is a rechargeable mini wand vibe that is closer to the size of a standard vibrator. There are 10 functions on this wand, with varying speeds and patterns to choose from. If you want super strong vibes, then go for a full-sized wand. This one has a head made from smooth silicone that presses firmly against the clitoris.
This is a really good wand vibrator to start out with if you are unsure whether a wand is a right toy for you. It is relatively inexpensive but still offers a lot of the fun of a full-sized wand.
2. Magic Wand Original Vibrator
- This is the work horse of the wand world, pleasing people for well over 30 years
- The vibrations are easy to control with just one switch for the 2 power levels plus on/off
- The neck is slightly flexible so you can angle it how you need it.
- This wand is plug in which may be inconvenient since you are limited to where you can use it.
- There are only 2 levels on this wand – powerful and incredibly powerful, which may be too much for some people.
- The head is made of vinyl, so it is porous and you have to be careful cleaning it since the unit can’t be near water
- It is very loud.
If you want to go for a full-sized option, then the Magic Wand is a classic that has been around for generations. It is easy to use, with just 2 power levels and must be plugged in, so you never have to worry about batteries or charging.
It’s pretty big at 12 inches long so it’s definitely not discreet, but it offers much more power than a mini or micro wand. It is also pretty loud, but the power of it makes the noise worthwhile.
This is a classic wand with no fancy bells and whistles – just incredible power. It is great for a beginner through to an experienced level user. Luckily, the Magic Wand folks have gotten with the times and now have a Magic Wand Rechargeable as well as a Magic Wand Plus Corded which come with steeper price tags but more bells and whistles. It’s not good for people with arthritis or other hand difficulties as the vibration and weight can make it too hard to hold.
Best Egg Vibrators for Beginners
1. Exposed Evelyn Bullet Vibrator by Blush Novelties
- The vibrations are pretty strong!
- The silicone egg means it’s body safe and easy to clean properly
- The size and wire make it easy to use even for beginners.
- Nice long wire means you or a partner can be in control of the vibrations.
- It is a pretty noisy toy so be wary if you have housemates.
- The wire can be a bit short depending on how you’re using it
Egg vibrators use an external controller to control the vibration and are great fun for use alone or with a partner. This is a particularly good option for beginners as it is corded and you don’t have to fuss with buttons on the unit itself.
The egg itself is made from smooth silicone and is multi-speed with some nice strong vibrators and 10 different intensities and functions. It measures 2.5 inches in length and 1.5 inches across so it a great beginner size.
This is a really great beginner egg vibe that is easy to use and pretty powerful, just take care when you are cleaning it not to get water on the wired part.
2. Fifty Shades Freed I’ve Got You Rechargeable Remote Control Love Egg
- The egg portion is waterproof but the remote is not!
- It is USB rechargeable so there is no need for batteries.
- The toy is made from super soft silicone that will last for a very long time.
- The remote control is wireless and you don’t need to worry about a cord in your way. You can charge up both at the same time as there is a dual charger.
- This egg vibe is definitely on the noisier side.
- The vibration is buzzier than rumbly and will not be strong enough for more advanced users.
This egg vibe is a bit of a step up from the last one in both price and quality, but it is still a great choice for beginners to this type of toy. This product is made from silicone and has a separate egg part and a wireless remote control. There is an awesome retrieval loop attached to the egg to make removal super easy still so you don’t need to worry about anything getting lost.
This is a bit more girthy than the other option so if you are inserting it, you will have a feeling of fullness. There are 8 patterns and 12 speeds which can all be controlled via the remote control, so you can use it alone or with a partner.
This is a high-quality silicone product that will last you a long time, however, if you are a power queen, this may not be strong enough.
Best Anal Sex Toys for Beginners
1. Performance Silicone Anal Beads by Blush
- The first bead is quite small making insertion nice and easy.
- There is an essential retrieval loop at the end so they don’t go too far.
- The body safe silicone material means they are non-porous and you can clean them thoroughly by boiling them.
- They are 10.5 inches insertable, which may be a lot for some folks but you don’t have to put the whole thing in.
Anal beads are the perfect toy for newbies to anal play. They are small, un-intimidating and you only need to insert them as far as you want to to get all the amazing benefits.
Anal beads are designed to stimulate the opening to the anus and are best used when pulled out slowly during orgasm to make it super intense. These beads from Performance by Blush are a cheap and fun option that is firm yet flexible making them easy to insert.
The largest of the beads is only .75 inches across so the entire set is quite slim and easy to use if you choose to insert them all.
I highly recommend this style of anal beads for anal newbies. They are cheap, fun and non-intimidating while still offering a lot of stimulation.
2. Luxe Candy Rimmer Small Silicone Butt Plug
- It has a looped base making it safe to use anally and easy to insert and retrieve.
- Great starter toy for first timers as it is super small and extremely tapered at the tip.
- Made from high-quality silicone that is designed to last.
- The looped base may not be the most comfortable for some, depending on your body.
A butt plug this size is the perfect way to train your body and relax the sphincter for anal play. This plug is super small, about the size of a thumb and is a great introduction to anal play that won’t overwhelm you or feel too intense when it is inside.
Being small like this, also means that it should go in a lot easier than bigger plugs. It’s made of silicone so it can’t be used with silicone lube but it should glide in nicely with some good quality water-based lubricant. It is 1.75 inches insertable length and .9 inches wide so it’s super tiny.
This is one of the smallest plugs you can get, so, if you have any experience with anal play, even just using finger, you may find it a bit small.
What Makes for a Good First Dildo?
When you’re considering buying your first dildo, there are a few things you should think about before you make your final purchase.
Length and size are probably the most critical factors to consider. Dildos are made to please, and you should think about what size penis you’re most comfortable with.
If you want to feel fuller while using your dildo, then you should consider a width of 1.5 inches. This width is the equivalent of two fingers and is the average size of a penis. Another aspect to consider is the material.
Silicone dildos are the safest with no phthalates and are non-porous, which can help with cleanup and preventing the accumulation of bacteria. Materials also affect whether the dildo will be flexible or stiff.
Things to Avoid With Your First Dildo
There are a few items you should avoid when purchasing your first dildo. The first is buying a dildo designed for vaginal play if you plan to use it anally. Vaginal dildos are designed fill the depth of the vagina which stops at the cervix, so depth of insertion isn’t a concern.
Anal dildos, on the other hand, are designed for safe removal if you happen to insert the dildo too far. Anal and vaginal dildos should not be used interchangeably. Also, anal and vaginal dildos will be more pleasing if they are used for the correct areas — you will be able to take more advantage of natural curvatures of your body.
Lastly, beginners should keep in mind that their first dildo needs to be one they’re comfortable using. Typically, dildos with a lot of features are intended for those who are more experienced. Keep your purchase simple and enjoy the sexual satisfaction of your first dildo.
How to Care for Your Toy
Now that you know what you are after, it is super important to take care of your new toy to keep it body safe and making it last for a long time.
To start with, make sure you have the right lube for your toy. Silicone lube reacts with silicone toys as it tries to bond together and will make the toy tacky and sticky. Not good! If you are unsure, stick to a water-based lube as this is safe with all toy materials and condoms too. You also want to make sure you wash your toy before and after use to ensure there is no bacteria or dust on the toy.
Use a toy cleaner like this great one to thoroughly clean the toy. Then leave it to fully dry before you store it away.
There really is no need to be scared of diving in and buying your first sex toy. Just think it through, have a look at reviews and think about what you like then go from there. And remember that sex toys are all about fun, so relax! And have a good time with your toy.
She has a Bachelor of Communications with majors in Journalism and Expressive Arts. Now, she lives in sunny Barcelona and shares her knowledge of all things pleasurable as a freelance writer. When she’s not writing, you can find her doing Pilates, drinking prosecco or playing with her darling dog, Peaches.